Getting Your Book Out There!
There are tons of things you can do to garner new PR about your book - so don't stop with just sending out a press release or making a few phone calls. And don't stop with, "My publisher's PR person is doing that."
Imagine one PR person in charge of 500 titles and you've got the in-house publicist' challenge about right. They're great at their jobs, but they have so many titles to try to get some coverage on, that unless yours is a fantastic out of the shelves best-seller even before it hits, chances are your book is not going to get the coverage it deserves.
Think niche and that's how you can push your book out. Look at the publications you most read, the organizations you belong to and the peers you correspond with on a daily basis.
There are tons of ways you can push your book out without ever calling someone like me or another PR rep.
Here are a few:
1. Use your existing newsletter and plan a book giveaway.
2. Reach out to bloggers that you correspond with or are in your peer arena and see if they want to review the book or do a short e-interview with you.
3. Repurpose content from the book into syndicated article sites.
4. Come up with a reader's guide so that book clubs can tap into the book and pick it to read.
5. Make your web page or blog dynamic - keep adding new content at least once a week or more to both so that people come back for more and it helps with SEO as well.
* Tip: Never say no to an interview query. If someone wants to interview you about the book - make time to do the interview.