MediaPost just ran an excellent story on Sony being outed by bloggers for its part in the creation of yet another flog. Flogs are phony blogs created by phony bloggers (usually marketing ne're do wells) who think the rest of the blog world is so stupid and that blog readers are so dense that they won't realize it's a fake blog!
If I've said it once in all these darn blogs I'm juggling, I've said it a million times! Don't FLOG! Don't create some slick blog like - www.alliwantforxmasisapsp.com (the aforementioned Sony flog) and think that bloggers aren't going to find you out. We bloggers are a fearless group, and most certainly we are an intelligent, dedicated, devoted group and don't flog on our blogging turf!
And forthwith - here are the Top Five Hints you might be dealing with a flog for all you dedicated blog readers out there. I'm providing these in an effort to empower us all to become an en masse group of "flogging spotters" similar to a bird watching club but we're watching for flogs!
Top Five Hints You Might Be Reading A Flog:
1. Every post ends with..."and that's why we're hip and you're not unless you buy this product." (Ok, it won't be that blatant, but read between the "flog lines" of several points and you'll see the underlying "buy this product" message.)
2. The blog is openly registered with a viral marketing viral firm. (Hint: Dear would-be floggers don't register the blog under you're own viral marketing firm's name that can be easily traced to the source.)
3. The blog suspiciously has only one author, whom you've never heard of but sounds like a person you would never want to hang out with or in the case of Sony's flog - "Rap with."
4. The blog suddenly "shutters its comments" ...meaning no one can comment on the fact that the blog is actually a FLOG!
5. The blog is forced to post declarations notifying its readers that the authors are indeed paid-floggers trying to sound hip instead of true bloggers trying to sound "flip."
By the way, I'm launching my own phony blog which will be called thisisafakeblogbutreaditandseeforyourself.com . Heck, maybe I'll even see if Sony will buy some ad space on it. And Wal-Mart too since its flog has been outed as well.
Now go and be real a real blogger, or don't do it at all!